Safety Laws By Osha And Ansi For Mats
OSHAANSI safety mat regulation issuedwith mats
- Footwear applications and considerations for the work environment, including traction.
- Location, design, and maintenance of mats and runners, including special consideration for high-hazard areas.
- Housekeeping and maintenance procedures, including required training, staff supervision, and floor monitoring.
- Pre- and post-incident warning, including signage/symbols and placement.
- Controlled access, including erecting barricades and containing hazards.
- Selection of walkway surface materials, including the discussion of floor-finishing and treatment options.
Note: The book Slip and Fall Prevention: A Practical Handbook by Steven Di Pilla is the referenced source for ANSI A1264.2-2001, pp.103-105.
- Order online 24 hours a day using secure checkout.
What Should Be Considered First When A Person Stands All Day At Work
When considering the use of anti-fatigue mats, there are other factors that should be considered at the same time, such as allowing changes in working/standing position, footwear, and flooring.
- Changes in working/standing position: Work should be organized so that the worker has some choice about his/her working position and an opportunity to change position frequently. A workplace that includes an optional seat and some kind of footrest increases the variety of body positions and encourages frequent changes between them.
- Footwear: Footwear is a factor which, if properly chosen, may further reduce the harmful effects of prolonged standing. There is no doubt that the choice of footwear is an important consideration for people who work on their feet. Shoes should ensure adequate arch and heel support and cushioning while providing comfort to the wearer.
- Flooring: The type of flooring used in the workplace has an equally important influence on comfort, especially on tender feet. Hard, unyielding floors, like concrete, are the least comfortable surface to work on. Walking on a hard floor is similar to the impact of a hammer pounding the heel at every step. Wood, cork, carpeting, or rubber – anything that provides some elasticity – is generally gentler on workers’ feet. More than that, softer floor coverings reduce fatigue and improve safety by reducing slips and falls on slippery floors.
Comfort Flow Comfort Scrape
420 Comfort Flow drainage holes430 Comfort Scrape non-draining surface
Dry or Wet Environments
- High-density closed cell nitrile rubber cushion has 15% recycled content
- Chemical resistant, grease and oil proof
- Beveled edges for safe transition from mat to floor
- Lightweight and flexible for easy handling and cleaning
- Certified slip-resistant by National Floor Safety Institute
- Comfort Flow has drainage holes to allow liquids to flow through
- Comfort Scrape has a non-draining surface
Use: Industrial applications and kitchen areas
Recommended Reading: Is Fatigue A Symptom Of Menopause
Best Budget: Featol Standing Desk Mat Foam Cushioned Anti Fatigue Mats Comfort Standing Pad
Texture makes it little hard to clean
At 0.9 inches, this mat is the thickest one in the roundup, and it certainly shows with its cushy comfort that brings instant relief to your tired feet. The polyurethane foam material and ergonomic design make this an incredible value of a kitchen essential.
Whether you struggle with aching joints or simply want to feel like there’s a cozy mattress under your feet while standing in the kitchen, this is the mat for you. Taking care of your cooking and cleaning tasks has never been more enjoyable with this affordable Featol pick.
Our Lab testers were impressed with how cushiony this mat felteven after hours of standing on it, they felt no fatigue or soreness. The thickness of the gel and memory foam construction held up, and testers highlighted how it felt like the foot almost sank or indented into the mat. Plus, the PU leather surface boasts a surprisingly durable quality for a low price, featuring water- and puncture-resistant abilities.
The Spruce Eats / Fred Hardy
Size: 20 x 32 inches | Weight: 5.14 pounds | Material: Foam | Colors: Black
“Loved the thickness. Felt like the foot almost sank or indented in the mat.”
How Do I Select An Anti
There are many types of mats that are sold as “anti-fatigue” mats. When choosing a mat, consider the following:
- Know the purpose of the mat. Anti-slip or other mats are not the same as anti-fatigue mats. Choose a mat that matches your needs best.
- The thickness of the mat. Softer and thicker may not always be better. Choose a mat that provides some elasticity, but at the same time is not so soft that a person feels they cannot stand comfortably.
- Know the environment the mat will be used in.
- Mats should not slip, or create a trip hazard.
- Mats should have sloped edges
- Mats may need to be cleaned. In some areas, such as food preparation, being able to adequately clean the mats will be important.
Also Check: Heart Disease And Fatigue Symptoms
A Guide For Prolonged Standing At Work: Anti
Designed to reduce the impact of prolonged standing, anti-fatigue mats can make a measurable difference for facilities.
What You Need to Know
Nagging pain and injuries contribute to absenteeism which has a real business cost. Anti-fatigue mats can offer relief to manufacturing workers who spend long periods of time on their feetand can help reduce work absence.
Being on their feet for hours and hours every day is a fact of life for many manufacturing workers. Even if theyre not involved in dangerous processes, these prolonged periods of standing can lead to cumulative injuriesfrom painful legs to sore backsand absenteeism. Providing anti-fatigue mats is one way employers can help ease the discomfort of prolonged standing.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration does not have regulations or standards specifically for anti-fatigue mats, but in its Ergonomics publication, the government body recommends their use for employees who need to work in uncomfortable positions.
Other Options We Tested
- KMAT Cushioned Anti-Fatigue Mat: This KMAT anti-fatigue mat received low marks on comfort and ease of cleaning from our Lab testers. It has a cool design and comes at a fair price, but our testers were disappointed by its lack of support and comfort. They remarked that it was hard and thin and felt flat-footed.
- Ninja Brand Premium Floor Comfort Mat: Although this Ninja Brand mat looks attractive with its textured surface and color options, it failed to deliver impressive results during testing. The cushioning did not provide even support, and our tester reported that the heels of her feet could feel the floor through the mat.
- Sky Solutions Oasis Anti Fatigue Mat: We featured another mat from Sky Solutions in this roundup that performed great overall, but this specific Oasis model fell short of expectations during Lab testing. Although it claims to be nonslip, testers found that it was prone to slipping around and needed more traction on the bottom. It also was not as soft or cushiony as expected. The textured surface gives your feet a better grip on the mat but makes it harder to clean.
The Spruce Eats / Fred Hardy
Also Check: Joint Pain And Fatigue In Adults
Easiest To Clean: Amazonbasics Premium Anti
Foam layer contours to feet
Stain- and abrasion-resistant
If youre going to use an anti-fatigue mat in your kitchen, its important that you can easily wipe off any spills. This 20 x 36-inch Amazon Basics mat has a stain- and abrasion-resistant surface, making it far easier to clean than other mats we have tested. It ensures your mat will remain as good as new, despite being located in a spill-prone area. Testers appreciated how easily messes were able to be rinsed right off and didn’t leave any stains or discoloration. It’s low-maintenance and uncomplicated to take care of.
Its foam layer will conform to the contours of your feet as you stand. In our testing, however, we found that while it’s easier to clean and offers good support for the price, its slick surface prevents it from staying in place. In addition, our testers observed that while the mat felt cushy enough, they didn’t notice a drastic difference between it and the bare floor. However, they still preferred standing on it over the ground. Just keep this in mind if you prefer a kitchen mat that is extra thick and dense. This one is probably best suited for someone seeking a simple and basic kitchen utility mat at a reasonable price.
The Spruce Eats / Fred Hardy
Size: 20 x 36 inches | Weight: 3.3 pounds | Material: Foam | Colors: Black, Dark Brown
The Winner Is The Sky Solutions Comfort Anti Fatigue Sky Mat
Camryn Rabideau is a freelance writer and product reviewer. She’s an expert on all things home, including kitchen appliances, grills, and other cooking gadgets.
Rachel Lee grew up in Southern California, enjoying tacos and acai bowls at the beach before joining Dotdash Meredith as an Editorial Commerce Producer in March 2021. In her free time, she loves exploring cool rooftop bars and speakeasies in every city she goes to, especially NYC.
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the bestproductslearn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
The Spruce Eats / Fred Hardy
After extensive Lab testing, the Sky Solutions Comfort Anti Fatigue Sky Mat is our top choice. Perfect for the kitchen or the workplace, this mat is thick, comfy, soft, and it comes in multiple sizes and colors. If you have a high-traffic area, check out the GelPro NewLife Bio-Foam Comfort Mat, which testers found to be highly durable and offered outstanding support.
Standing on a hard, bare floor for several hours, whether it’s because you’re cooking a time-intensive meal on the stove or meal-prepping several ingredients at the counter, is not only exhausting, but it can cause strain to your lower body. It puts constant pressure on your feet, lower back, and legs, explains Dr. Kevin Lees, DC, manager of auditing and quality for The Joint Chiropractic.
You May Like: Global Industrial Anti Fatigue Mats
Why Trust The Spruce Eats
Camryn Rabideau is a lifestyle writer specializing in all things home products. She’s reviewed everything from the latest and greatest kitchen gifts to the must-have cookware essentials for your kitchen. She’s also taken several interior design courses, which has given her an additional angle when it comes to home products.
, who wrote the buying guide for this roundup, is a self-taught home chef who has interviewed and learned from famous chefs along the way. However, her real passion is for making home cooking accessible, fun, and comfortable. As part of her research on the more technical aspects of anti-fatigue mats for the kitchen, she interviewed Dr. Kevin Lees, DC, manager of auditing and quality for The Joint Chiropractic.
Our Associate Commerce Editor Rachel Lee assessed testing insights from our Lab and researched each product’s qualities to determine the top picks to recommend in this updated roundup.
9 Best Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Mats For Hardwood Floors And Tiles. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-personal-shopper/2021/12/20/best-kitchen-mats/?sh=16d01b776dd9
Why Do I Need Anti
January 15, 2018 by Travis Zdrazil
When you think of a commercial kitchen, you might think of a scaled-up version of your kitchen at home. But even though commercial kitchens are certainly larger than the average residential kitchen, there are plenty of other features and needs that make commercial kitchens unique.
Don’t Miss: Vitamins For Weakness And Fatigue
Osha Floor Safety Violations & Penalties
OSHA frequently conducts surprise, unscheduled inspections of workplaces, and also conducts inspections based on employee complaints. The OSHA floor safety regulations are treated in the same manner as other OSHA regulations in this regard. If during an inspection, your business is found to have improper floor safety, the consequences depend on several factors.
- If the inspector determines that there is a clear and obvious risk of serious injury or death, you may be fined immediately. In most cases, however, you’ll likely be issued a citation that requires you to complete the repair by a certain deadline. For minor violations, you’ll be served with a simple warning.
- If OSHA determines that you should have known about a hazard or known that it was dangerous, this counts as a willful violation. Failure to comply with OSHA citations are also treated as willful violations, and a business may be treated as a repeat offender.
- If an injury occurred in your workplace as a result of an OSHA violation, this is extremely likely to result in increased penalties. Failure to report an injury is also subject to an immediate fine. If a workplace hazard results in an employee’s death, it will result in criminal charges.
- A business or individual found to be a repeat offender will be treated far more harshly by OSHA than a first-time offender, with higher fines and stricter penalties.
What Mats Are Right For Your Kitchen
Ergonomically designed AbsorbentsOnline anti-fatigue floor mats and anti-fatigue kitchen mats are the perfect choices for those with commercial kitchens who employ workers in any positions that require standing for extended amounts of time. These mats are approved by the National Floor Safety Institute to reduce spinal compression, increase circulation, and mitigate fatigue as a result of standing. Theyre lightweight and made from closed-cell nitrile rubber, so they wont absorb spilled liquids. These anti-fatigue commercial kitchen mats are also treated with an antimicrobial compound to make them resistant to mildew, mold, and bacterial growth. Beveled edges reduce the risk of tripping and make it easy to roll carts over the mats. Each mat comes with a two-year guarantee and has an expected life span of up to eight years.
Mats come in sizes of 20 inches by 24 inches all the way up to 48 inches by 72 inches. If none of the available sizes suit your space, dont worry: The experts at AbsorbentsOnline can create custom-sized mats to fit your commercial kitchen needs.
Need help selecting the right mats in the best sizes for your industrial kitchen? The professionals at AbsorbentsOnline can help. Contact Travis Zdrazil at or 869-9633.
Read Also: What Can Cause Fatigue And Weakness
Its Part Of An Overall Ergonomics Process
In recent times, health concerns related to prolonged sitting on the job have received considerable attention within the workplace wellness community. With the focus on getting sedentary employees off their bottoms and on their feet, its important to remember that excessive standing is just as detrimental to long-term health as excessive sitting. In those environments where employees regularly spend hours on their feet, anti-fatigue matting is a tool employers should consider.
Various studies have demonstrated the positive impact anti-fatigue matting can have in improving worker comfort and productivity, while reducing the potential for workplace muscular skeletal disorders . But with so many matting choices from which to choose, how can an employer make the best decision for his or her workplace? While many variables come into play when selecting an anti-fatigue mat focusing on application, area of coverage needed and frequency of use will help direct the employer to the best solution.
Regulatory requirements and studies
While OSHA currently has no general industry standard requiring the use of anti-fatigue matting, OSHA does make reference to the value of these mats in their guidelines for employers in the retail trade and restaurant industries¹.
Choosing the correct anti-fatigue mat
You get what you pay for
Ultimate Luxury King Anti
Extra-thick and highly-energized Zedlan sponge offers optimal cushion and resillience for proper fatigue relief. Benefits Include:
- Extra bounce stimulates muscles and blood flow to reduce fatigue
- Maintains flexibility even in low temperatures
Anti-Static Rubber Scraper Mat is the multi-purpose, all-rubber scraper mat with unique containment borders.
Entrance Mats & Runners: These Commercial Floor Mats by Gallantaffordable entry mats are extremely durable and a good choice for both indoor & outdoor use. We offer many colors to choose from.
Anti-Static Rubber Scraper mats pass the requirements of the following anti-static performance tests:
Steel Grey, Black, Royal Blue, Black/Yellow
- The First Launderable Anti-Fatigue Mat
- Effectively scrapes tough dirt and grime off feet.
- Durable nitrile-rubber mat provides slip-resistant surface.
- Available in four OSHA approved color-stripped borders, or with safety messages, a welcome message or custom logos.
- 100% nitrile rubber SuperScrape is ideal for kitchens, slippery inclines, restaurants, production areas and outside entrances.
Don’t Miss: Anti Fatigue Compression Foot Sleeve Socks
Best Decorative: Sohome Cozy Living Anti Fatigue Kitchen Mat
Light color may show dirt
Not a fan of the plain-looking kitchen mats and want to add a fun flair to your kitchen? Look no further than this decorative mat. It’s a highly rated kitchen find that reviewers loved for the homey feel and comfy convenience it brought to their home.
The memory foam construction makes it just the right amount of squishy underneath your feet. However, our Lab testers observed that this half-inch mat was not as thick as some of the other options, so it felt a bit less supportive. They also pointed out that the light color may be prone to accumulating dirt, but that’s nothing a quick wipe-down can’t fix.
Although it might not feel the most luxurious out of the bunch, this mat is definitely the most eye-catching and attractive. Overall, if you’re seeking a cute anti-fatigue mat that gets the job done, this is the one for you.
The Spruce Eats / Fred Hardy
Size: 20 x 36 inches | Weight: 2.4 pounds | Material: Foam | Colors: Grey
“Mats made for kitchens in your house tend to be softer and made for wearing socks or bare feet. They also are not made for standing for more than an hour or so. Mats that have ‘travel control’ are made to not slide on the floor. This may be important for people using them on tile or wood floors. And, beware of mats that can curl on the edges, as this can lead to a tripping hazard.” Dr. Kevin Lees, DC, manager of auditing and quality for The Joint Chiropractic
The Spruce Eats / Rachel Ellison