What Precautions Are Necessary
Before treatment is started with secukinumab, your doctor will examine you for tuberculosis . If your doctor feels that you are at risk for TB, you may be treated with medicine for TB before you begin treatment and during treatment with secukinumab.
Use with other medicines
- Secukinumab may interact with some other medicines. You should tell your doctor about all medicines you are taking or plan to take. This includes over the counter or herbal/naturopathic medicines. You should also mention your treatment when you see other health professionals.
- While being treated with secukinumab, you must not receive live vaccines. Tell your doctor if anyone in your house needs a vaccine. The viruses in some vaccines can spread to people with a weakened immune system and can cause serious problems.
Use in pregnancy and when breastfeeding
How Does This Medication Work What Will It Do For Me
Secukinumab belongs to the class of medications called biological response modifiers .
Secukinumab is used to treat moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis in adults whose specialists have determined that systemic or phototherapy may be beneficial. It is also used to treat active psoriatic arthritis and active ankylosing spondylitis in adults who have not had an adequate response to other treatments.
For people with plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis, the body overproduces a protein called interleukin-17A . Secukinumab recognizes this protein and blocks the action of IL-17A, reducing the symptoms of these conditions.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
Why Do I Feel Tired All The Time
People with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis often feel tired all the time. Some people who develop this symptom think there must be something psychologically wrong with them. There isnt fatigue is a common and recognised symptom of the conditions. It is also acknowledged that doctors underestimate fatigue as a component of psoriasis and in particular of psoriatic arthritis. People often feel frustrated about the lack of support and understanding they get when presenting with a debilitating and invisible symptom.
It appears that fatigue is more severe in people with psoriatic arthritis than those who have psoriasis alone, with studies suggesting that three out of every ten people with psoriatic arthritis have symptoms of fatigue. Fatigue may be an early symptom or sign of inflammatory activity in people who may have psoriasis and or psoriatic arthritis both are classed as long-term inflammatory conditions. Inflammation is linked with the release of powerful chemicals. These include:
- inflammatory proteins which increase the stickiness of blood platelets
- proteins which bind to antibodies and circulate as immune complexes
- immune system chemicals that help immune cells communicate with each other, such as interleukins, especially interleukin 1.
You May Like: Vitamins To Help Adrenal Fatigue
Drug Forms And Strengths
Cosentyx is given as an injection just under your skin . The drug comes in three forms and each contains 150 mg/mL of Cosentyx:
- liquid solution in a single-use Sensoready pen
- liquid solution in a single-use prefilled syringe
- powder in a single-use vial*
At first, your healthcare provider will give you the injection. Once they train you, youll be able to give yourself injections at home with the Sensoready pen or prefilled syringe. One form may be easier for you to use than another. Ask your doctor which form of Cosentyx is best for you.
* Only a healthcare professional can give you Cosentyx in this form. Theyll mix the powder with a solution and give you the injection.
How Should I Use This Medication
Plaque psoriasis: The recommended starting dose of secukinumab is 300 mg injected subcutaneously , once a week for 4 weeks. After the first 4 weeks, 300 mg is injected once a month. Each dose is given as 2 injections of 150 mg.
Psoriatic arthritis: The recommended starting dose of secukinumab is 150 mg injected subcutaneously , once a week for 4 weeks. After the first 4 weeks, 150 mg is injected once a month. In certain situations, a dose of 300 mg may be required.
Anklyosing spondylitis: The recommended starting dose of secukinumab is 150 mg injected subcutaneously , once a week for 4 weeks. After the first 4 weeks, 150 mg is injected once a month.
Secukinumab is administered by subcutaneous injection in the thigh, buttocks, or abdomen. It is important to rotate the site of injection in order to minimize the risk of fat wasting at the site of injection. If possible, avoid injecting into areas that are affected by psoriasis.
Do not shake this medication before using it. The solution for injection should be clear and colourless-to-slightly-yellow. If it is brown or you can see particles in the solution, do not use it.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
Recommended Reading: How To Test For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Will I Have Withdrawal Symptoms If I Stop Using Cosentyx
If you stop taking Cosentyx, you shouldnt have withdrawal symptoms. However, once you stop taking the medication, your plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis may flare up again. Sometimes, to help prevent a flare from occurring, your doctor may slowly decrease your dose instead of stopping your treatment all at once.
If youre concerned about withdrawal symptoms after you stop taking Cosentyx, talk with your doctor.
Alcohol Use And Cosentyx
It should be safe to drink alcohol during your Cosentyx treatment.
However, alcohol can damage your liver. A drug thats used with Cosentyx, methotrexate , can also harm your liver. Drinking alcohol with methotrexate can raise your risk for liver problems. Therefore, you should avoid alcohol if youre using methotrexate to treat your condition.
If you think alcohol, talk with your doctor about how much is safe for you to drink with your condition and treatment plan.
Also Check: How To Fix Mental Fatigue
Can Depression Be A Side Effect Of Cosentyx
Other drugs used to treat your condition may cause depression. Examples of these drugs include:
- Brodalumab , which treats plaque psoriasis and may raise your risk for depression and suicidal thoughts or behaviors. This drug works the same way in your body as Cosentyx.
- Corticosteroids such as prednisone , which treat psoriatic arthritis and other autoimmune diseases. Corticosteroids may cause mood changes and depression, especially when theyre taken too long or in high doses.
In addition, autoimmune diseases such as psoriasis are linked with depression and mental health conditions.
Depression is a serious condition that shouldnt be ignored. If you think you have depression or another mental health condition, call your doctor as soon as possible. Symptoms of depression may include anxiety, mood changes, loss of appetite, or feeling angry or irritable.
What To Ask Your Doctor
Cosentyx may help relieve your plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, or other type of arthritis. But in some people, Cosentyx may cause mild side effects. In rare cases, it could also cause an infection or other serious side effects.
If you have questions or concerns about Cosentyxs side effects, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They can provide information to help you manage side effects. Here are a few example questions to get you started:
- Am I at risk for any serious side effects?
- If I get tuberculosis while using Cosentyx, can it be treated?
- If I develop inflammatory bowel disease while using Cosentyx, will it go away when I stop the drug?
- What can I do to help prevent infection while using Cosentyx?
Recommended Reading: What Is Me Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
As Safety Profile Through Year 510
- Adverse reactions reported by > 1% of patients in clinical trials for moderate to severe PsO were nasopharyngitis, diarrhea, upper respiratory tract infection, rhinitis, oral herpes, pharyngitis, urticaria, and rhinorrhea1
- The safety profile observed in patients with AS is consistent with PsO1
- Neutralizing antibodies developed in 0.6% of patients with PsO and were not associated with loss of efficacy14*
- Evaluate patients for TB infection prior to initiating treatment
Please see Important Safety Information, including CONTRAINDICATIONS.
Can The Cosentyx Injection Cause Side Effects
Its possible. Injection-site reactions werent seen in studies, but in general, injected drugs such as Cosentyx may cause side effects such as skin irritation.
Cosentyx comes as a solution thats given by subcutaneous injection . In some cases, the injection may cause mild or temporary swelling, redness, or pain at the injection site.
Its also important to note that the Cosentyx Sensoready Pen and prefilled syringes have removable caps that contain latex. If you have a latex allergy, you may be sensitive to these forms of the drug. Talk with your doctor about your risk for injection-site reactions with Cosentyx. You may need to receive Cosentyx injections with a latex-free syringe in your doctors office instead of giving yourself the injections at home.
If youre having trouble injecting Cosentyx, ask your doctor or pharmacist for tips. And for more help with self-injecting Cosentyx, see these instructions for use.
Read Also: Best Fatigue Mat For Standing Desk
Side Effects Of Cosentyx Warnings
Prescription drug information for thousands of brand, generic, and OTC medicines is available to registered members only. It’s FREE to register and you’ll have access to drug information and much more Cosentyx ® and fatigue symptoms in patients with ankylosing spondylitis irrespective of baseline C-reactive protein levels or prior tumour necrosis factor inhibitor therapy: 2-year data from the MEASURE 2 study. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2018 PREVENT underlines Cosentyx leadership and is a step forward in providing patients with a treatment that addresses the complete axSpA disease spectrum Both parts of the disease spectrum have a similar symptom burden, including nocturnal pain, fatigue, morning stiffness and functional disability 14. If left untreated,.
How Was Your Experience With
Cosentyx is a prescription medicine used to treat adults:
- with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis that involves large areas or many areas of the body, and who may benefit from taking injections or pills or phototherapy
- with active ankylosing spondylitis
- with active psoriatic arthritis
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Serious side effects have been reported with Cosentyx. See the Cosentyx Drug Precautions section.
The most common side effects of Cosentyx include:
- inflammation of the nasal passages and throat
- upper respiratory infection
These are not all of the possible side effects of Cosentyx. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Tell your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Don’t Miss: How To Explain Lupus Fatigue
Cosentyx For Active As Reduces Fatigue For Up To 3 Years
Cosentyx contains the active substance secukinumab. Secukinumab is a monoclonal antibody that belongs to a group of medicines called interleukin inhibitors. This drug works by neutralizing the activity of a protein called IL-17A, which is found in elevated levels in diseases such as psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, and axial spondyloarthritis Cosentyx is a type of biologic therapy called an interleukin 17-A blocker. Cosentyx is approved to treat people with ankylosing spondylitis , non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis, and it is also approved to treat plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. 1 In people with AS, biologic therapies are generally used as a second-line treatment, after treatment with non-steroidal. Final Words – Cosentyx vs Enbrel. Cosentyx is used to treat ankylosing spondylitis, moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis in adults. This immunosuppressant medication works by reducing the effects of a chemical substance in the human body which can cause inflammation. Enbrel is an injectable. Novartis’ Cosentyx takes on Humira and biosimilar in phase III showdown. Novartis has launched two trials pitting its new Cosentyx product against AbbVie’s Humira and one of its biosimilars in a bid to capture market share from the world’s biggest-selling drug. The two trials – SURPASS and EXCEED – will compare interleukin-17 antagonist.
How To Store Secukinumab
- Store secukinumab in the refrigerator, between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius. Do not freeze. If necessary secukinumab may be stored unrefrigerated for a single period of up to 4 days at room temperature, not above 30 degrees Celsius. Keep the pens or syringes in the original carton to protect them from light until the time of use.
- Keep all medicines out of reach of children.
- Do not leave secukinumab in the car, on windowsills or in the bathroom. Heat can destroy some medicines, including secukinumab.
Recommended Reading: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Disability Living Allowance
Is Fatigue A Side Effect Of Cosentyx
If you experience fatigue that bothers you, talk with your doctor. Theyll check your overall health and review your medications. Dont stop or change your Cosentyx treatment unless your doctor recommends it.
What Are Some Of The Rare Side Effects Of Cosentyx
Cosentyx can cause rare but serious side effects. In studies, these rare side effects included:
- Serious infection. Using Cosentyx may make it harder for your immune system to fight infections, including tuberculosis . Your doctor will check you for TB before and during your Cosentyx treatment.
- Inflammatory bowel disease or IBD flare-ups.IBD is a group of conditions that cause inflammation in certain parts of your digestive system. Examples include Crohns disease and ulcerative colitis. If you have IBD, your doctor will watch you closely during Cosentyx therapy or choose a different treatment. Tell your doctor if you have IBD, even if its in remission .
- Anaphylaxis.Anaphylaxis is a life threatening allergic reaction that requires immediate medical care. Symptoms of anaphylaxis can include trouble breathing or swelling in your face or throat. If you experience these symptoms, call 911 or your local emergency phone number, or get medical care right away.
Cosentyx may cause other mild or serious side effects. To learn more, see the next sections.
Cosentyx can cause mild side effects. These may include:
- cold sores
- cold symptoms, such as cough, congestion, runny nose, or sore throat
In most cases, these side effects should be temporary. And some may be easily managed, too. But if you have any symptoms that are ongoing or that bother you, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. And dont stop using Cosentyx unless your doctor recommends it.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Fatigue Last During Menopause
Cosentyx: Side Effects And How To Manage The
Is It Normal To Feel Fatigued In Psoriatic Disease
It is normal to feel tired after exertion, insufficient sleep or at the end of the day this tiredness is usually relieved by rest or sleep. With fatigue, the symptoms often go beyond normal tiredness and can include decreased or lack of energy with accompanying physical or mental exhaustion. These symptoms usually persist even after a good nights sleep.
In the UK, 10-20% of the population report being tired for a month or longer, with 1.5% feeling a need to see their GP. The symptoms often include difficulty sleeping muscle or joint pain headaches painful lymph nodes sore throat cognitive dysfunction symptoms made worse by physical or mental exertion flu-like symptoms dizziness nausea or palpitations.
Read Also: Vitamins For Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome