Fatigue Headache Joint Aches And Nausea Or Vomiting
- Medical Author: Carol DerSarkissian, MD
Last Editorial Review: 6/15/2020
Your symptoms match a wide variety of different medical conditions, including a sinus infection. Another possibility is Lyme disease, an infection caused by a tick bite. Adding more symptoms may help better pinpoint what may be going on. Call your doctor if you don’t get better after a day or two. In some instances, these symptoms can point to something more serious. If these symptoms concern you, it’s best to give your doctor a call right away.
While the list below can be considered as a guide to educate yourself about these conditions, this is not a substitute for a diagnosis from a health care provider. There are many other medical conditions that also can be associated with your symptoms and signs. Here are a number of those from MedicineNet:
How To Get Rid Of Body Aches And Chills
- If you or your babe are really uncomfortable with the chills or achiness, you may take an over-the-counter medication to bring the fever down to a more comfortable range.
- Dehydration adds to the overall achiness, so amp up those fluids.
- Rest! Let your body fight for you while you reap the benefits of extra sleep.
- Take a warm bath to soothe your sore muscles. If youâre running a fever, make sure the water isnât too hot â we donât want to make the fever worse.
Dont Miss: Is Fatigue A Symptom Of Prostate Cancer
Migraine: The Most Common Cause Of Headache And Nausea
Migraines are the kind of headaches that are most likely to make you nauseated. Of people who have migraines, 8 out of 10 have nausea with them too.
Research shows women and anyone prone to motion sickness are more apt to have nausea with migraines. Itâs not clear why women are more affected than men, but some experts think itâs linked to changes in hormones.
You can also get migraines during pregnancy. You might have pain on one side of your head and you may be nauseated. If you had migraines before you were pregnant, you may have fewer migraines while expecting. Or, you may notice an uptick in your number of headaches.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome. This gastrointestinal disorder is linked to migraine headaches, but itâs not a type of migraine. It happens most often in children, though kids usually outgrow them by the time they’re teenagers. Some kids with CVS go on to have migraines as adults.
Youâre more likely to develop CVS as an adult if you have a history of migraines or long-term marijuana use, or youâre prone to motion sickness. Triggers include hot weather, physical or emotional stress, and sinus or respiratory infections.
The main symptoms of CVS are sudden episodes of severe nausea and vomiting. These attacks can last for a few hours or several days. You might vomit several times an hour.
Between episodes, you may feel healthy and have no symptoms. Doctors might misdiagnose your CVS as food poisoning or stomach flu.
Don’t Miss: Cbd Oil For Chronic Fatigue
Problems With Thinking Memory And Concentration
If you have ME/CFS, it’s also common to have:
- problems remembering certain words, names or numbers
- difficulty concentrating or difficulty focusing on more than one thing at a time
- problems remembering things that happened recently
- being slow to speak or react to things
These problems are sometimes described “brain fog”.
So The Big Hints For Oi Or Oh As A Cause Of Headaches Are:
- Occasional lightheaded sensation or woozy spells just after standing up.
- Fatigue after meals especially bigger meals or high carbohydrate meals.
- Occasional fatigue, poor mental functioning, poor memory or confusion.
- The association of intense neck muscle pain or chronic stiffness.
Often times symptoms can improve, albeit temporarily, when exercising. This is because constriction of muscles during exercises helps pump more blood from the muscles themselves into the circulation thereby increasing the blood flow to the brain
OH can get substantially better after increasing the amount of salt and decreasing the carbohydrate intake in your diet. Salt increases your blood volume and makes it easier to maintain adequate blood flow o the brain. The reduced carbohydrate intake allows your autonomic nervous system to recover and more properly control blood flow to the brain.
Think about your headache pain. Does it occur more in one time of the year over another ? Do you seem to get sinus infections more commonly than your friends or family? Does the pain start in the back of the head or at the temples? Or do you also wrestle with chronic fatigue, have intermittent lightheadedness or intense neck muscle pain?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may need to rethink your diagnosis of migraine headaches.
Don’t Miss: Lower Back Pain With Fatigue
When To Call The Doctor For Out
The size, feel, and look of your breasts are as individual as you are, and breasts often change predictably throughout the month. Some women normally have lumps others get a lump every month before their period. But something outside of your usual breast condition could be a symptom of a health problem, says Rachel Freedman, MD, MPH, a medical oncologist at the Susan F. Smith Center for Womens Cancers at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
Look for anything new that persists, such as a mass, skin change, or rash that doesnt go away in a day but sticks around, Dr. Freedman says. Breast cancer can appear as an unusual redness of the skin that looks like an infection, swelling, lumps, bumps, or nodules. Other potential symptoms include nipple discharge thats bloody , and breasts that become unusually asymmetrical.
Fever And Headache Pain
Other illnesses and inflammation can also trigger a fever. You might have a fever if your body temperature is higher than 98.6°F . A fever can lead to changes in your body that may lead to a headache.
Read Also: Sweating Fatigue Shortness Of Breath
High Risk Conditions Include:
- lung diseases like asthma, cystic fibrosis, chronic bronchitis or emphysema
- metabolic diseases like diabetes
- blood disorders like sickle cell or other severe anemia
- a weakened immune system caused, for example, by cancer or cancer treatment, HIV/AIDS, organ transplant, or corticosteroid therapy
- certain conditions such as nervous system or muscular disorders or seizure disorders that can cause breathing problems or increase the risk of inhaling oral secretions.
How Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treated
Theres no known cure for chronic fatigue syndrome, but the symptoms can be treated. Experts suggest focusing on the most disruptive symptoms first, and working with the childs doctor to manage them:
- Post-exertional malaise. For kids whose symptoms get worse after even mild activity, experts suggest pacing their activities. This means planning for a balance of activity and rest based on what the child and family feel are the childs limits. This can be different from one person to the next. Children with CFS should not be pushed to do more than they feel they can tolerate, as this can lead to a crash, or worsening of symptoms.
- Dizziness. Kids who get dizzy or feel weak or lightheaded when they sit up or stand might need to drink more fluids, use more salt in their foods, or wear support stockings.
- Sleep problems. Ensure good sleep habits and regular bedtime routines to overcome CFS-related sleep problems.
- Problems with concentration and memory. Find ways to keep track of important things to deal with concentration or memory problems.
- Headaches and stomachaches. Gentle massage and heat may help some kids with pain from CFS.
Doctors may also suggest over-the-counter or prescription medicines for some of these symptoms.
Therapy and support groups can also help students with CFS deal with the academic or social challenges. Its common for kids and teens with CFS to miss school, have poor grades, or withdraw from friends and social situations.
You May Like: Fatigue Falling Asleep During The Day
Illnesses That Can Cause Body Aches But No Fever
Trained in dentistry, Sree is currently studying lab sciences. She enjoys researching various health topics and writing about her findings.
Though illnesses that cause body aches are often accompanied by a fever, this is not always the case. In this article, Ill go through some of the things that could be causing your body aches.
Best Cold Flu Allergy And Covid
The best home treatments for any of these illnesses depend on the exact symptoms you’re experiencing. Torres shared some advice about over-the-products that can help, but you should always check with your health care provider first.
- Fever and body aches: Use pain- and fever-reducing medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- Congestion: For a stuffy nose, use an over-the-counter medication like guaifenesin . If your congestion is due to allergies, try a nasal steroid spray or non-sedating antihistamine.
- Fatigue: Make sure you stay hydrated, get enough electrolytes and rest up. “Sleep is one of your biggest aids you can use right now that lets your body recuperate and regenerate itself so it can protect you and it keeps your immune system strong,” Torres said.
- Difficulty breathing: If you experience any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath or if your symptoms get worse rather than improving, you should speak with a doctor, Torres said.
Read Also: Oxygen Concentrator For Chronic Fatigue
Is My Sore Throat And Headache Due To A Viral Or A Bacterial Infection
If you have both a headache and sore throat, it could be a viral or bacterial infection. They have similar symptoms.
If you have a runny nose, cough and hoarse voice, you most likely have a viral rather than bacterial infection. There are no medications to treat viral infections. The virus will go away on its own. You usually feel better in about a week.
If its bacterial, your healthcare provider may prescribe antibiotics, such as penicillin.
Sore Throat And Headache Seem To Affect The Same Number Of Patients: Around 14% According To The Who
Since both are considered mild symptoms, patients with a headache or sore throat may be less likely to go to the hospital or seek out a test, so data about the prevalence of those symptoms could be skewed.
The Wuhan study, for instance, found that around 17% of patients developed a sore throat, while less than 7% developed a headache.
Also Check: Best Supplements For Muscle Fatigue
Also Check: How To Fight Pms Fatigue
What Causes Night Sweats In Leukaemia
There are a few different ways that leukaemia can lead to night sweats:
Read Also: What To Do For Adrenal Fatigue
How To Care For Yourself
Medications used to treat the flu or a cold control symptoms. Antibiotics wont work they combat bacterial, not viral, infections. Viruses actually hide inside your own cells where antibiotics cannot affect them. Flu and cold care is aimed at symptom relief and immune system support. These include the following:
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink plenty of fluidsup to 3-4 liters per day .
- For fever, headache, body aches, or sore throat pain, take Tylenol Advil , or Aleve every 4-6 hours.
- For sore throat, gargle every 4 hours with warm, salty water . Also, try using throat lozenges containing a numbing medication.
- For hoarseness or laryngitis, talk as little as possible. Straining the voice can prolong or worsen laryngitis.
- For heavy amounts of nasal discharge or a large amount of phlegm associated with cough, consider using a mucolytic, such as Mucinex .
- For persistent runny nose or nasal congestion, antihistamines and decongestants may be used. Mild antihistamines such as Chlor-Trimeton are useful for runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes. Use a decongestant such as Sudafed for nasal/sinus congestion or ear fullness. A combination antihistamine/decongestant such as Actifed or Dimetapp may be taken for multiple symptoms. But remember, antihistamines may make you drowsy !
- Read this flu information for more guidance.
Read Also: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Clinical Trials
Feeling Sick In The Morning But Not Pregnant
Fatigue and nausea are common during the early stages of pregnancy. Doctors use the term morning sickness to refer to nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, although these symptoms may occur at any time of day. A 2014 study notes that morning sickness occurs in around 85% of pregnancies.
If there is any possibility that a person may be pregnant, they should take a pregnancy test. If they are not pregnant, they should see their doctor to determine the cause of their morning nausea.
Feeling nauseous upon waking up may simply be the result of poor sleep or an upset stomach from the night before. However, it could also signal a more chronic underlying health issue.
Treatments For Headaches And Nausea
Some things that might help include:
- Reduce your stress. Stress is a common trigger for nauseating headaches. Find ways to cut it, and your attacks could get less severe and happen less often.
- Keep a diary to identify any foods that trigger your headaches. Common culprits include chocolate and alcohol.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest.
- Take your meds. Your doctor might prescribe drugs to help prevent your headaches, especially if youâre diagnosed with migraines. Meds may also help stop your headache after it starts, or ease your symptoms. You can also take anti-nausea medications during your headaches. They come in different forms, like pills, suppositories, syrups, and shots. They have a number of side effects, so work with your doctor to find the best one for you.
- Try complementary treatments. Some evidence shows that biofeedback and acupuncture may help ease migraines and other kinds of headaches and related symptoms, such as nausea.
National Headache Foundation: “American Migraine Study II: A Ten Year Report Card on the State of Migraine,â “Migraine,” âMenstrual Migraine,â âGlaucoma.”
American Academy of Family Physicians, familydoctor.org: “Headaches,” “Management of Cluster Headache,â âFood Poisoning.”
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, womenshealth.gov: “Migraine.”
Vestibular Disorders Association: “Vestibular migraine.”
American Hearing Research Foundation: “Migraine Associated Vertigo.”
Don’t Miss: Fatigue And High Blood Pressure
Bluish Skin Or Lips Are Not Common But Theyre Signs Of A Serious Infection Since They Signal A Lack Of Oxygen In The Blood
Doctors look for oxygen levels between 95% and 100% for healthy patients. A patients skin typically turns blue when their oxygen levels are below 90% a sign of a clinical emergency, according to the WHO.
In the case of COVID-19, blue lips or skin can signal the presence of pneumonia or ARDS. The CDC lists this symptom as one of its emergency warning signs.
Are These Molecular Receptors Responsible For Sensory Muscle Fatigue And Muscle Pain
As part of a larger investigative group interested in muscle pain and sensations related to muscle fatigue, we recognized that these are greatly increased in people following exhausting exercise. Muscle pain and sensory muscle fatigue ameliorate quickly once exercise is ended, but increase again in untrained muscles 1224 hours later and can last 48 hours or longer before diminishing. The pain has been studied extensively and is often called delayed-onset muscle soreness , and most of us know that a sense of muscle fatigue is also increased during DOMS. The explanation for DOMS has been that exercise of untrained muscle causes micro-tears that result in inflammation however, this explanation is controversial . Whether or not micro trauma is involved, the sensory receptors encoding muscle pain and fatigue must be sensitized in order for these enhanced sensations to be apparent because the metabolite levels are not increased at rest in DOMS. As increases in ASIC3 have been shown in some models of long-term muscle pain , we hypothesized that one or more of the molecular receptors involved in metabolite signaling of muscle pain would reveal increased mRNA following exercise that produced DOMS.
Mouse DRG mRNA increases caused by exhausting exercise, measured 16 hours after a bout of exercise .
You May Like: Meaning Of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Know Emergency Warning Signs Of Covid
Get medical attention immediately if you experience any of these warning signs*:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to be woken up
- Pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips, or nail beds, depending on skin tone
*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your doctor or medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning. If you need emergency medical attention, and tell them you are having COVID-19-like symptoms.
Hypertension Anxiety Dizziness Blurry Vision Neck Pain Heart Palpitations Irregular Heartbeats Medications Are Not Helping
It is likely that if you are reading this article you may have been prescribed medications for your hypertension and hypotension blood pressure swings and that you and your cardiologist are finding it challenging to get that correct mix of medicines to help you. A paper in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, December 2019 describes how challenging it is for cardiologists to manage this problem.
Afferent baroreflex failure is most often due to damage of the carotid sinus nerve because of neck surgery or radiation. . The clinical picture is characterized by extreme blood pressure lability with severe hypertensive crises, hypotensive episodes, and orthostatic hypotension, making it the most difficult form of hypertension to manage. There is little evidence-based data to guide treatment. Recommendations rely on understanding the underlying pathophysiology, relevant clinical pharmacology, and anecdotal experience. The goal of treatment should be improving quality of life rather than normalization of blood pressure, which is rarely achievable.