How Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosed
CFS diagnosis depends on two criteria:
A specific treatment for CFS has yet to be proven effective. Vitamin supplements and medicines have some benefit. Many treatments just relieve the symptoms of CFS.
Meal Plan And Prep When You Can
One of the best ways to ensure a nutritious diet is to meal plan and prep food ahead of time. On days that you have more energy, plan out what you will eat for the rest of the week and prep your basic ingredients or cook the meals all the way through. Your meals will be all ready to go. You wont have to worry about what youll eat on a given day. Even better: Enlist someone to help you so you can get more done without exhausting yourself.
Get Symptom Relief That Works
Fully dedicating yourself to overcoming chronic fatigue syndrome can be difficult when the very symptoms youre trying to nix chiefly fatigue and pain are the same ones holding you back from pursuing recovery. Healing takes time, and symptoms wont go away until healing is complete. Fortunately, there are many herbs and other natural options for feeling better, sooner, even as youre addressing the root causes of your misery.
I know we just covered a lot of ground, but my hope is that it feels supportive rather than overwhelming. Whats most important to remember is that while you dont have to follow every last bit of advice above, theres a lot you can do to overcome chronic fatigue syndrome.
You possess the power to change your health fate, and the minute you take the reins is the minute you truly begin your recovery.
Dr. Rawls is a physician who overcame Lyme disease through natural herbal therapy. You can learn more about Lyme disease in Dr. Rawls new best selling book, Unlocking Lyme. You can also learn about Dr. Rawls personal journey in overcoming Lyme disease and fibromyalgia in his popular blog post, My Chronic Lyme Journey.
Also Check: How To Deal With Adrenal Fatigue Naturally
Graded Exercise Therapy Controversy
The PACE TRIAL
In 2005, patient recruitment began for the PACE Trial – Pacing, Graded Activity, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and randomized Evaluation, which was conducted in the UK under the auspices of the UK Medical Research Council, Depart of Health and Social Care for England, Scottish Chief Scientist Office, and Department for Work and Pensions. The investigators were Peter White, a psychiatrist, Trudie Chalder, a professor of cognitive behavioral therapy, and Michael Sharpe, a professor of psychological medicine.
This study, which is the most well-funded single piece of ME/CFS research ever conducted, was designed to compare three different approaches to treatment:
1) Specialist Medical Care , which included the use of medications for symptoms management and instruction in avoidance of extreme activity or inactivity to SMC plus Adaptive Pacing Therapy , which is activity engagement limited by symptoms of PEM on one extreme and complete inactivity on the other
2) Informing the group that they were not ill, but rather deconditioned and should gradually return to activities and that there was nothing preventing their recovery and
3) CBT and GET with the premise that deconditioning, dysfunctional cognition, and false ideas were the source of their symptoms and functional limitations. The GET was to be advanced in a structured manner with the ultimate goal of the patients participating in regular aerobic exercise.
The consequences of the PACE Trial were:
What Is The Latest Research On Me/cfs
Today, we have a better understanding of ME/CFS, but researchers are still searching for the cause. ME/CFS is sometimes seen in members of the same family, perhaps because of a genetic link. Researchers are also testing a variety of treatments for ME/CFS, including anti-viral medications and medications that affect the immune system.
Researchers also are looking at ways to help health care providers identify and diagnose ME/CFS more quickly. HHS currently supports a study led by the Institute of Medicine to recommend improved and updated criteria to help physicians make a diagnosis of ME/CFS. The IOM’s recommendations may also guide future research.
You May Like: Best Supplements For Muscle Fatigue
Theres Tired And Then Theres Fatigue Lets Not Mistake The Two
Fatigue is one of the most challenging symptoms of chronic illness to cope with. This is something we hear from CreakyJoints members over and over and over again.My worst problem is fatigue. I need all my energy just to get through my eight hours of work and when thats over I have none left to do anything else, Elena K. told us recently on Facebook.Fatigue is robbing me of the energy I wanted to use on all the projects I had planned for retirement, shared Beverly K. on Facebook.
Support Your Immune System
Chronic infections may be an underlying cause of chronic fatigue, but they are widely undiagnosed.
What to do: In addition to getting tested for underlying infections, consider blends of Siberian ginseng, samento, sarsaparilla, guaiacum, astragalus, resveratrol, and catâs claw for their immune-strengthening properties.
Don’t Miss: Apache Mills Anti Fatigue Mat
Sleep Suggestions For Fighting Fatigue
A common cause of fatigue is not enough sleep, or poor quality sleep. Suggestions include:
- Get enough sleep two-thirds of us suffer from sleep problems, and many people dont get the sleep they need to stay alert through the day. Some recommendations on getting a good nights sleep include: go to bed and get up in the morning at the same time every day, avoid naps through the day, and have a warm bath or shower before bed.
- Limit caffeine too much caffeine, particularly in the evening, can cause insomnia. Limit caffeinated drinks to five or less per day, and avoid these types of drinks after dinner.
- Learn how to relax a common cause of insomnia is fretting about problems while lying in bed. Experiment with different relaxation techniques until you find one or two that work for you for example, you could think of a restful scene, focus on your breathing, or silently repeat a calming mantra or phrase.
- Avoid sleeping pills sleeping pills are not a long-term solution because they dont address the causes of insomnia.
How Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treated
Treatment is determined by your healthcare provider and based on:
- Your overall health and medical history
- Extent of the condition
- Your tolerance for specific medicines, procedures, or therapies
- Expectations for the course of the condition
- Your opinion or preference
- Medicine, including corticosteroids, antidepressants, and others
- Light-intensity aerobic exercise
- Dietary supplements and herbal preparations
- Psychotherapy and supportive counseling
Don’t Miss: Signs Of Dizziness And Fatigue
Sleep Rest And Relaxation
You may have sleep problems that make your ME/CFS symptoms worse. For example, you may:
- have problems getting to sleep
- have unrefreshing or restless sleep
- need an excessive amount of sleep
- sleep during the day and be awake at night
You should be given advice about how to establish a normal sleeping pattern. Having too much sleep does not usually improve the symptoms of ME/CFS, and sleeping during the day can stop you sleeping at night.
You should change your sleep pattern gradually, and your doctor should review how it’s going regularly. If your sleep does not improve after making changes, you may have an underlying sleep problem that will need to be addressed.
It’s likely you’ll need to rest during the day, and your doctor should advise you about the best way to do this. For example, they may suggest limiting each rest period to 30 minutes and teach you relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises.
If you have severe ME/CFS and need to spend much of your time in bed, it can cause problems, including pressure sores and blood clots. These problems, and how to avoid them, should be explained to you and your carers.
How Is Me/cfs Treated
There is currently no FDA-approved treatment or drug for ME/CFS. As neither a cause nor cure for ME/CFS has been identified, treatment is directed at relieving symptoms. However, there are interventions and symptom-reduction strategies that you can use to significantly improve patients quality of life.
Learn more in our Patient Resources section.
Studies show that less than 9-16 percent of ME/CFS patients in the United States have been properly diagnosed. Diagnosing ME/CFS is a challenging process because there is still not one diagnostic test or biomarker thats conclusive. Getting a definitive diagnosis often takes months or even years.
Providing compassionate and effective care for patients with ME/CFS can be challenging, like many other multisystemic chronic conditions. Patients and their providers must be partners with open lines of communication in order to effectively manage this illness. For medical providers seeking to provide better care for ME/CFS patients, reference our educational materials at our Medical Provider Resources page.
Recommended Reading: Body Aches Joint Pain And Fatigue
Try Smaller More Frequent Meals
Many people with chronic fatigue often feel too tired to eat or dont feel hungry. If youre losing weight or struggling to eat enough throughout the day, Groppo recommends trying smaller meals more frequently or adding small snacks between each meal. Eating more frequently may help keep your energy up. Smaller portions may be easier to tolerate as well.
Ways To Help With Chronic Fatigue
Even though CFS has no definitive cure, physicians will recommend one of the following to treat your symptoms if youre ever diagnosed with the condition.
In addition to alleviating depression, antidepressants can also help reduce muscle tension and fatigue, which will, in turn, improve sleep. While antidepressants side effects vary, some of the most common antidepressants often prescribed for CFS include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and Tricyclics.
Besides antidepressants, other drug therapies most physicians will often recommend include stimulants, Acetaminophen , Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , Antihistamines, and Anti-anxiety medications .
The suitable homeopathic CFS remedy will depend on your constitutional type, which includes, but isnt limited to, your psychological, emotional, and physical makeup. A seasoned homeopath will assess all of these factors and determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
Some of the commonly used remedies by homeopaths to treat CFS include:
- Pulsatilla For individuals whore emotional and moody but with a gentle and calm disposition
- Gelsemium For physical weakness, including heaviness of the eyelids and limbs, and mental exhaustion, such as indifference and drowsiness
- Sulphur For individuals who feel fatigued but arent as emotionally sensitive as those that need Pulsatilla
- Arsenicum For fatigue and restlessness accompanied by burning pains and chills that worsen at night
Recommended Reading: Info On Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Myths About Cfs/me And Food
There is a lot of conflicting advice and information on the internet. Many people with CFS do report an improvement in symptoms after changing what they eat. Yet there is no scientific evidence to support the claims that such as the Anti-Candida diet, or other restrictive diets, like the Paleo/Stone-Age or Blood Type diets, or eating chocolate help CFS.
These are not recommended and can create much more work and effort for sufferers and their carers. Although it is often thought to be better to avoid certain food types it can limit your choices, cost more and be less healthy. Many gluten-free foods, for example, are higher in fat and sugar. Many non-dairy milks are also lower in protein.
How To Cope With Fatigue
Managing fatigue requires a well-rounded approach. This may entail changes to your medication regimen, trying supplements in addition to your medication, managing stress and mental health, and making other healthy lifestyle changes.We asked doctors and chronic illness patients for their best tips on coping with chronic fatigue and exhaustion.
You May Like: Causes Of Fatigue And Headache
When To Call A Doctor If You Have Cfs
If you meet most of the criteria listed above, you may need to consult with your physician for validation. If your symptoms are getting worse or if you dont see any signs of improvement, you should also get in touch with your physician for help. While there isnt a well-established method used to fix CFS completely, you can use many ways to experience relief from the symptoms.
Your doctor may cross-reference your symptoms with other pre-existing health conditions such as sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, and heart disorders. Be sure to offer as much information as you can to get an accurate explanation about your syndrome.
Recommended Reading: How To Combat Allergy Fatigue
How Long Is It Expect To Last
The majority of people suffering from ME-CFS improve with time, but certain people do not make an entire recovery. There are also likely to instances when symptoms will get worse or better. Young people and children who suffer from ME-CFS are more likely to fully recover.
Risk factors related to CFS
Most people in between 40 to 50 age group get affect by the CFS.
Sex is also a key aspect in CFS, because women are twice or four times more trust source greater likely diagnose with CFS than men.
Other factors that will be responsible for increasing the risk factors of CFS are as follows:
- Genetic predisposition
What is the signs for CFS?
The symptoms of CFS are different depending on the individual and degree of the illness.
The most frequent symptoms of fatigue are those that are severe enough to cause problems with your day-to-day routine.
To allow CFS to be recognize an impairment of your capacity to carry out your normal everyday activities must last at least 6 months. It cannot be treat with rest.
There is also the possibility of experiencing intense fatigue following physical or mental exercises that is call post-exertional m.as. . It may persist for longer than 24 hours after an activity.
CFS can also trigger problems with sleep, for example:
- Not feeling refreshed after a long sleeping a
- Chronic sleepiness
Additionally, you could also have the following symptoms:
- Memory loss
- Orthostatic intolerance
The physical symptoms associated with CFS can include:
Don’t Miss: Shingles Fatigue How Long Does It Last
Psychological Issues And Fatigue
Studies suggest that between 50 and 80 per cent of fatigue cases are mainly due to psychological factors. Suggestions include:
- Talk about it Theres some evidence that talking therapies such as counselling or cognitive behavioural therapy might help to fight fatigue. See your doctor for a referral for talking treatment.
- Reduce stress Stress uses up a lot of energy. Try to introduce relaxing activities into your day. This could be working out at the gym, or a gentler option such as meditation, yoga, listening to music, reading or spending time with friends. Whatever relaxes you will improve your energy.
- Assess your lifestyle for example, are you putting yourself under unnecessary stress? Are there ongoing problems in your life that may be causing prolonged anxiety or depression? It may help to seek professional counselling to work out family, career or personal issues.
- Learn to do nothing one of the drawbacks of modern life is the pressure to drive ourselves to bigger and better heights. A hectic lifestyle is exhausting. Try to carve out a few more hours in your week to simply relax and hang out. If you cant find a few more hours, it may be time to rethink your priorities and commitments.
- Have more fun maybe youre so preoccupied with commitments and pressures that you dont give yourself enough time for fun. Laughter is one of the best energy boosters around.
About Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic fatigue syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a continuing disorder that produces chronic weariness that does not go away with rest or sleep and can interfere with daily activities. Most commonly, it affects the immune and nervous systems. Its sometimes called post-viral tiredness syndrome .
People suffering from ME-CFS experience extreme fatigue that is cause by post-exertional malaise . This happens when the body is unable to recover from even the smallest amounts of energy, which leads to an increase in the symptoms. The feeling of fatigue can be very different from normal fatigue and could take a couple of days to show up after mental, physical, or emotional strain.
Also Check: How To Reduce Fatigue In Multiple Sclerosis
Skip Heavily Processed Foods
Heavily processed foods typically have fewer nutrients than their whole food counterparts. Its important to load up on plants like legumes, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to support your bodys needs.
Dont know what to eat? Groppo recommends sticking with foods that are as close to how Mother Nature made it as possible. Choose popped corn instead of corn flakes or brown rice instead of pasta, for example.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle
Making lifestyle changes may greatly impact how you feel, and the specific changes you need can depend on the severity of your illness and whether certain activities exacerbate your symptoms. While some people may see the tremendous benefit just from making changes to the way they eat, for example, others may find that more sweeping changessuch as a job changemay be necessary.
You May Like: Is Fatigue A Symptom Of Uti
What Can I Do For Myself
There are some things that you can do for yourself to help you manage the condition and still live your own life. Small changes can build and make a difference to your energy and mobility. This is called self-management.
To help with this, you might try:
- Planning your time record what you do so that you can build a picture of what uses more energy and what activities you can ask others to do for you. This will help you choose what is important to you and plan your day to achieve this. It will also show you if there are patterns of symptoms and when they appear during your day
- Rest and relaxation this is very important for managing CFS/ME. You may need some support and advice on what that might mean for you in terms of your physical, mental and emotional activities for resting
- Getting support being open with people and asking for help when you need it before you are exhausted is a key approach to managing your condition. Talking about how you are feeling is important for long term health conditions because of the impact your symptoms have on the way you live your life. While you are adjusting to the diagnosis and the change in your life, it may be helpful to get outside support such as counselling or CBT. Talk to your GP about emotional support available to you.